Veterans Housing Grants Through the Home Depot Foundation
Help for Veterans through the Home Depot Foundation
You might shop at Home Depot, and know they have a military discount. But, they also have the Home Depot Foundation, which is committed to helping improve the homes and lives of U.S. Veterans and train skilled tradespeople to fill the labor gap and support communities that are impacted by natural disasters. Starting in 2011, they have invested more than $400 million in veterans causes and have improved more than 50,000 veteran homes and families.
RELATED: Home Depot Military Discount
They have also pledged to invest half of a billion dollars in veteran causes by 2025 as well as $50 million in training the next generation of skilled tradespeople through the Path to Pro Program.
Their Veteran Housing Grants are between $100,000 and $500,000 and is an amazing program that awards grants to nonprofit organizations for the new construction or rehabilitation of permanent supportive housing for veterans.
Who qualifies for this program?
This program is for organizations that fit these qualifications:
- 501(c)3 nonprofits that have maintained good standing with the IRS for at least five years.
- Have a current operating budget of at least $300,000.
- Have previous experience developing veteran housing and currently manage or own veteran-specific housing.
- Have a 15+ year ownership stake in the development.
- Be involved in the Continuum of Care or a local collaboration to end homelessness in their community.
Where are the grants awarded?
They award grants through the U.S. and Puerto Rico, but priority goes to large cities, which are cities with over 300,000 people.
They state that they focus on the following cities:
- Los Angeles, CA
- Seattle, WA
- New York, NY
- Houston, TX
- Detroit, MI
- San Diego, CA
- Denver, CO
- Chicago, IL
- Atlanta, GA
- Tampa, FL
There are also eligibility requirements for the program
- The program supports new construction or rehabilitation of multifamily, permanent supportive housing for veterans.
- The grant can only be used for the costs of the physical construction of housing for veterans.
- The funding must comprise less than 50% of the total development cost of the project or program.
- The target population of the veterans must be at or below 80% AMI.
- 75% of their funding sources must be identified when applying for the program.
- The project needs to commence within 12 months of proposal submission.
- At least 20% of housing units must be reserved for veterans.
- Proposals must show evidence of a 3rd party binding agreement that ensures that the housing units are actually occupied by veterans for a minimum of 15 years.
- Supportive services must also be provided.
How do you apply for the program?
You can fill out the application on their website. You will then be contacted no more than 45 days after the grant proposal due date. The remaining due dates for 2022 are 3/25/22 and 7/8/22. It’s important to know that this grant is not for individual veterans, or organizations for single repairs. The Home Depot Foundation does have a list of partners that might be able to help with that.
- Home Depot Military Discount
- The Veteran’s Ranch: Helping Our Homeless Heroes
- Care Packages For The Troops
- Verizon And The VA Have Teamed Up To Help Veterans
About the author
Julie Provost is a freelance writer, blogger, and owner of Soldier's Wife, Crazy Life, a support blog for military spouses. She lives in Tennessee with her National Guard husband and three boys.