Webinars for Job Hunting Veterans and Military Spouses 2021 [updated]
Lori Waddell & Kellie Fergusson
Webinars to Prepare Veterans and Military Spouses to Land a Job 2021
Updated through May 2021
There are many tools out there to help the military community with finding a job. Possibly one of the most convenient and helpful tools are webinars. A webinar is a virtual live presentation or conference that many companies use to train, guide, network, or gain new employees. For the military community, webinars can be a great tool if you are looking for a job.
These virtual events allow you to grow your knowledge of what employers are looking for and how to best prepare yourself and your resume to get the job you want. Webinars are usually interactive, allowing for on the spot discussions about tips and resources. Attending a webinar geared toward the military community may just be the resource you need to jump-start your next career.
Types of Virtual Webinars
- Interview Preparation
- Resume Tips
- Employer Connections
- Leveraging Job Search Engines
- Networking Tips
- Company Recruitment
Webinars in April
April 20, 2021
- Military Spouses: 5 Steps to Get Hired– This webinar is for military spouses to help them navigate the job search process. Military spouses will get guidance on resume writing, learn to leverage networks, and learn interview techniques. Registration required. 9:00 am PST
April 21, 2021
- Employer Spotlight: Amerisave– This webinar is for transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses to learn about career opportunities at Amerisave. Registration required. 12:00 pm PST
April 27, 2021
- Industry Spotlight: Pathways to Video Gaming– This webinar focuses on learning career pathways within the Video Game Industry. You will have an opportunity to hear from industry employer representatives from Activision Blizzard, Riot Games, and Sony Interactive Media. This webinar also covers career paths for Corporate Finance, Art, Technology, and Project Management. Registration required. 12:00 pm PST
Webinars in May
May 4, 2021
- Military Spouse Appreciation Panel: Job Seeking as a Military Spouse – panel of professionals, military spouses, and representatives from Amazon, Boldly, Freedom Learning Group, and Instant Teams. The panel cover advancing your career, remote work, personal branding/networking, and more. Registration is generally required. 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm EST
May 6, 2021
- Hire Heroes USA: Partner in Success – Hear about the challenges of the military spouse journey through an interview with an active-duty service member and their spouse. The webinar is directed at companies who can support military spouse employment, however, anyone can attend. Registration is generally required. 1:00 pm EST
May 13, 2021
- Employer Spotlight: IPSOS – Hear from a panel of IPSOS Talent Managers. IPSOS is a multinational market research and consulting firm. This is your chance to learn about careers for Veterans and Military Spouses at IPSOS. Opportunities for questions available during this live event. Registration is generally required. 11:00 am – 12:00 pm EST
May 19, 2021
- Success After Service: 5 Steps to Get Hired – Webinar is a starting point for those transitioning out of service or revamping their career search. The 5 steps include:Focus on understanding the employment process, identifying your target, defining and protecting your brand, resume tailoring, selling yourself in the interview, and negotiating your offer. Registration is generally required. 11:00 am MST
May 20, 2021
- SBA MILITARY SPOUSE ENTREPRENEUR SUMMIT EUROPE – Resources for military spouses thinking about entrepreneurship and small business ownership. Learn about virtual entrepreneurship training and counseling resources available to military spouse entrepreneurs. Also provides an opportunity for peer-to-peer networking. Registration is generally required. 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm CST
May 21, 2021
- SBA MILITARY SPOUSE ENTREPRENEUR SUMMIT ASIA – Resources for military spouses thinking about entrepreneurship and small business ownership. Learn about virtual entrepreneurship training and counseling resources available to military spouse entrepreneurs. Also provides an opportunity for peer-to-peer networking. Registration is generally required. 9:00 am – 11:30 am
Non-Profits Assisting Military Spouses
Focusing on networking and career development, these non-profits put military spouses first.
Hire Heroes USA
Hire Heroes USA gives one-on-one coaching to spouses no matter where in the hiring process they are. With LinkedIn and resume help, as well as interview and job board preparation, spouses are able to be a cut above the rest. Being paired with a transition specialist, this free resource helps spouses and military members land the career they have been looking for while staying in touch throughout the hiring process.
The United Service Organization or USO, allows volunteer opportunities and networking events for military service members and their dependents. By signing up for USO Military Spouse Networking Events spouses are able to connect with spouses in their area who are in the same situation they are in. By attending these events, spouses are able to improve their elevator pitch, explaining yourself and your personal mission, resume and interview skills without the pressure of being corrected or evaluated. Spouses are encouraged to “find their spark” and find what they are passionate about to bring focus and purpose to their life though USO spouse connections.
Military Spouse Corporate Center Network (MSCCN)
Founded in 2004 the Military Spouse Corporate Center Network, or MSCCN, aids spouses to find a balance between their career and military life challenges. Being able to search work from home employment and access prerecorded trainings allows even the busiest spouses a way to improve their job search. Aiming to help spouses maintain and obtain a portable career is their main focus, MSCCN aims to encourage spouses to accomplish their career goals regardless of location or station.
COVID-19 has changed the whole world as we know it. Being an ever changing service, military members and their families must learn to adapt to their circumstances and overcome any obstacle. Being able to keep up to date with employment preparation and job trends is the key to stay on top of the job market. Being able to relay and support each other in our communities.
Blue Star Families
Blue Star Families has a program called Spouse Force which is sponsored by The Walmart Foundation and JPMorgan Chase that aids military spouses in building a technology career. Their aim is to make sure that spouses have a career that is portable and in high demand. Training offered by sponsors allows the spouse to be a step ahead of competition in the hiring process. Training in skills related to software and technology, business and writing management as well as internet and workplace safety, allow the spouse to improve their resume and interview skills. Blue Star Families connects individuals with online mentors around the country in their desired field of practice to ensure they are on the correct path to their new career.
Even though the world around us seems to be at a standstill, this is the perfect time to get ahead. Online training and courses are more readily available than ever before. Improving yourself inside and out will put a new perspective on this life in quarantine. Staying sharp and ready with skills like interviewing and networking will allow you to be one step ahead in the new normal. Now more than ever this year, with the holiday season approaching, more opportunities are just around the corner, you just need to know where to look.
- Virtual Job Fairs for Military and Veterans
- Careers at the Department of Veteran Affairs
- 5 Insider Tips for Navigating USAJOBS
- Best Interview Tips To Land Your Next Job
- 8 Ways the Military Spouse Employment Act Can Benefit You
- 5 Tips for Military Spouses: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile
- Conference for Military and Veterans Interested in Information Security Careers