10 Companies Committed to Hire Military Spouses
Did you know that military spouses have an unemployment rate of 16%, which is more than four times higher than their civilian counterparts’ rate? The Hiring 100k Military Spouses Employment Initiative is a new program that aims to improve those numbers. This initiative is a partnership of American companies to hire military spouses.
10 of the Companies Committed to Hire Military Spouses
Here are a few of the participating companies:
- Booz Allen Hamilton Strategy & Technology Consultants
- Capital One
- Comcast NBC Universal
- Hospital Corporation of America
What Is the Hiring 100k Military Spouses Initiative?
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes (hiringourheroes.org), in collaboration with Starbucks, partnered with sixteen major national companies to launch the initiative in June 2018. This initiative seeks to elevate military spouse employment while providing real solutions for military spouses seeking meaningful career opportunities, and aims to do that by:
- Addressing the issues of military spouse unemployment and underemployment by raising awareness throughout the country
- Providing a unique avenue for businesses and organizations to make a commitment to hire military spouses
- Encouraging businesses to share best practices for hiring and retaining military spouse talent
The initiative was launched as a three-year national call-to-action campaign, encouraging American businesses of all sizes to make a collective commitment to hire 100,000 military spouses. As of early October 2018, the partnership has received nearly 3,000 commitments, and the list of committed companies is growing. This is good news for military spouses who are looking for new careers! The initiative partners are companies that appreciate the unique needs and gifts of military spouses, and want to support military spouses and their families.
What Is The Benefit For Companies and Spouses?
For those who are members of this hiring initiative, the benefits are clear.
Here’s what Capital One’s representative had to say about Capital One’s commitment:
“Military spouses are problem solvers. They can adapt to changing situations and shift gears at a moment’s notice. In a business environment that values agility, ingenuity, and reliability, the experience and insights that military spouses bring to the workplace are invaluable.” – John Finneran, EVP, Corporate Secretary, Capital One
HCA’s representative had this to say:
“The Hiring Our Heroes Military Spouse Program Initiative has been an excellent way for HCA hiring managers to make connections to highly qualified Military Spouses. This partnership provides exceptional support as we provide Military Spouses with long-term career opportunities . . . “ – Avery King, Military Affairs Talent Acquisition Lead, HCA Healthcare
How Does This Help Military Spouses?
“The program is designed with the specific needs of military spouses in mind, offering flexibility and support so they can continue caring for their families while training for successful careers in technology.” – USMC MajGen (Ret.) Chris Cortez, Microsoft Military Affairs
- 4 Reasons Military Spouses Need to Take Advantage of MySECO
- Reasons To Join the Military Spouse Network
- Military Spouse Employment Act
- Cure for Common Employment Struggles for Military Spouses
- Military Spouse Priority Placement Program
- Military Spouses Grow With Google
- Walmart Announces Hiring of 6,000 Military Spouses