Special Pays – Part 2 – Military Pay
As a service member, you will receive different types of pays during the course of your military career. There is your base pay, BAH for your housing and BAS for food. There are also different special and incentive pays, over 60 of them which you may or may not qualify over the course of your military career.
Some of these pays are only for certain branches, and others you might never qualify for. Many of these pays are to help induce service members into the types of duty involved.
Here are of 13 them:
- Foreign Language Proficiency Bonus (FLPB)– Incentive for service members to become proficient, to increase their proficiency in foreign languages that will enhance the foreign language capabilities of the armed forces. This is discretionary pay. The law authorizes a bonus of up to $12,000 for a 12-month certification period.
- Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP)– To help retain experienced officer aviators that have completed their Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) to remain on active duty for a specified period of additional service. For aviators in grade O-6. This is discretionary pay. Up to $25,000 for each year of service agreement, through 25 years of aviation service.
- Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB)– When qualified enlisted service members reenlist in designated critical military specialties where the retention levels are insufficient to sustain a steady readiness posture to complete the mission. This is discretionary pay. Maximum payable is $90,000 for a minimum three-year reenlistment.
- Nuclear Officers Extending Period of Active Duty-For Nuclear-qualified Navy officers to continue on active duty upon completion of obligated service. For the Navy. The maximum pay per law is $30,000 for each year of a minimum 3-year active service agreement.
- Nuclear Career Annual Incentive Bonus– Incentive for Nuclear-qualified Navy officers to continue on active duty upon completion of obligated service. For the Navy. The maximum pay is $22,000 to commissioned officers, and $14,000 to Limited Duty officers (LDOs.)
- Special Warfare Officer Continuation Pay-For qualified, experienced Special Warfare Officers to remain on active duty beyond their initial ADSO. This is discretionary pay. For the Navy. Up to $15,000 per year to eligible officers.
- Surface Warfare Officer (SWO) Continuation Pay– For SWOs that are selected for Department Head (DH) and agree to remain on active duty to complete that tour. This is discretionary pay. For the Navy. Up to $50,000 to eligible officers.
- Judge Advocate Continuation Pay (JACP)-For military Judge Advocates to continue on active duty upon completion of their ADSO. This is discretionary pay. This is for the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The Marine Corps pays a Law School Education Debt Subsidy (LSEDS) under the JACP statutory authority. Up to $60,000 pay over the Judge Advocate’s career.
- Critical Skills Retention Bonus (CSRB) or Bonus for Assignment to High Priority Unit-To help address skill-specific retention problems. This is discretionary pay. Up to $200,000 total, $100,000 for the reserve component is payable to an eligible member during their career.
- Officers Holding Positions of Unusual Responsibility-For service members with sea service skills and for members serving on sea duty for greater-than-normal rigors of sea duty. This is an entitlement pay. The Secretary of the Service establishes monthly CSP and CSP Premium rates within $750 and $350 caps. Rates paid by the Department of Navy is CSP ranges of $50 to $730 a month. CSPP is $100 a month for those who serve more than 36 consecutive months of sea duty. The Army pays under its own rate table. The Air Force uses CSP rate table in effect pre-FY2001 NDAA.
- Special Duty Assignment Pay for Enlisted Members-For enlisted members who qualify for, volunteer to serve in, or remain in, designated positions with duties that are extremely difficult, or that carry an unusual degree of responsibility when compared to the typical jobs of service members of the same grade level. This is discretionary pay. The maximum amount by law is $600 a month. The current range being paid in SDAP is between $75 amd $450 a month.
- Incentive Bonus for Conversion to Military Occupational Specialty to Ease Personnel Shortage-For service members to convert to and serve for a period of not less than three years in a military occupational specialty that has a shortage of trained and qualified personnel. This is discretionary pay. For the Army.
Transfer between services
- Incentive Bonus for Transfer Between Armed Forces-An incentive pay for transferring from one armed force to another and serve at least three years in the new component. This is discretionary pay. For the Army. $10,000.
This article explains 13 of the many different Special and Incentive pays. See if there are any that you would be interested in or could qualify for to earn even more money as a military service member.